U.S. Athletic Trust seeks athletes of world-class standing or potential, with solid academic records and evidence of leadership abilities. Our athletes, by their example, show youth that one can succeed in both athletics and academics.
WE ARE CURRENTLY NOT ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR WINTER SPORTS, ONLY SUMMER OLYMPIC SPORTS.
To be considered for U.S. Athletic Trust programs, athletes must:
- Hold at least an undergraduate or college-level degree
- Demonstrate world-class potential and be credible Olympic finalists
- Hold United States Citizenship
- Be fully committed and able to train for the Olympic Games
To be considered for the U.S. Athletic Trust direct funding, athletes must demonstrate financial need as follows:
- Total taxable income¹ below US $45,000/year
- Ongoing income from sport below $25,000, except in sailing, equestrian and similarly high-cost sports²
Applications are reviewed by the appropriate sport committees; when no committee exists for a particular sport, by the Board of Directors. All committee recommendations are subject to review and approval by the Board of Directors. Specific criteria will vary by committee. In general, reviewers will evaluate:
- Athlete application, including athletic resume, athlete essay, university transcript(s), work and/or community volunteering history, IRS 1040 and student loan balances
- Athlete in-person or telephone interview
- Background research, which may involve interviews with athletes’ coaches (past and present), judges and others closely involved in the sport; and which may take into account subjective factors that may enhance Olympic potential, such as an athlete’s ability to motivate his or her team to win.
We are continually working to increase funding so we can support as many deserving athletes as possible at optimal levels of funding. Athlete inquiries accepted by email only at firstname.lastname@example.org.
¹Taxable income (or foreign equivalent) may not exceed US $45,000/year.
²Athletes funded by U.S. Athletic Trust have historically earned an average of $14,300 from all sources.